Tuesday, May 11, 2010

(Table) Tennis, Anyone?

The ping pong table came yesterday. It’s blue. It’s awesome.

As we set it up, I got more and more excited. I can’t wait to play! Ping Pong is so much fun! It’s blue! I love the sound the balls make when they bounce! Look at these awesome paddles!

If my life were a sitcom it would be time to cut to the montage:

me laughing and playing ping pong;

me smiling as I lunge for a tough shot;

my son asking me to play ping pong and me giving him a big thumbs up;

my son asking me to play ping pong while I’m chopping vegetables and things are bubbling on the stove;

my son lifting up my eyeshade (I don’t wear them in real life but they are sitcom shorthand for interrupted beauty sleep) to ask me to play ping pong;

me looking haggard as I return a ball into the net;

me tearing at my hair and turning the radio up to drown out the incessant ka-plink, ka-plonk audible from all corners of the house;

and, finally, a shot of me on my knees, in the rain, arms to heaven (paddle in hand) begging for deliverance from ping pong servitude.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how the next few months will play out. Well, except for the crying in the rain part (one hopes). It's only a matter of time before I'll want a break, when ping pong does not bring me as much sheer joy as it brings me today. But for now… who is up for a game?

No comments:

Post a Comment