Thursday, May 6, 2010

Food Court

I don’t keep a lot of junk food in the house, but it’s not for any of the reasons you’d suspect.

Sure, I aspire to a healthy lifestyle for my whole family. And, yes, I want to avoid sweet (and salty) temptations.

But, as I realized recently, the main reason my pantry is so paltry is that I think other people at the grocery store judge me by what’s in my cart. What kind of crazy is that? Narcissism? Paranoia?

It’s not like I care, or even notice, what other people have in their carts. (Although I will admit that I like to pass my time in line by trying to guess—from the items on the conveyor belt-- what someone is making for dinner.)

So… want to know where my virtuous, whole grain, no HFCS, rainbow coalition of organic fruits and veggies-filled cart gets me? Desperate for a chocolate fix, I’ve been reduced to scrounging through baking supplies for a handful of semi-sweet morsels. And, more pathetically (or-- a better spin-- more ingeniously!), I’ve now stuck some of those same morsels into a spoonful of peanut butter for an ersatz Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.

Would it be weird to ask my neighbor for a cup of cookies?

No comments:

Post a Comment