Monday, April 12, 2010

Group Three

A million or so years ago, when I was just starting out as a practicing professional-type person, I had a boss who I thought was pretty cool. My advisor soon set me straight. “There are three types of people here,” he told me. “People who like the guy, people who hate the guy, and people who used to like him and now know better.”

Turns out my advisor was right. It didn’t take long for me to figure out that the guy was a vindictive, egomaniacal, unprofessional, sexist, sexual-harassing jerk. I joined the ranks of Group Three.

Last week, when Tiki Barber’s infidelity came to light, my brother sent me an e-mail saying how glad he was that he had stopped liking Tiki years ago. Group Three, I thought.

You can apply those three categories --like, hate, used to like and now don’t—to all kinds of things. Try doing it with famous people (especially useful when you can’t fall asleep). As of one o’clock this morning, I’m in Group Three when it comes to these celebrities: Cameron Diaz, Katie Holmes, Jim Carrey, Jennifer Garner, Mel Gibson, Gisele Bundchen, Val Kilmer, Kobe Bryant and Tom Cruise.

(I never liked Tiger.)

No comments:

Post a Comment