Monday, January 6, 2014

Serenity Now!

It’s a new year, which means clean slates and resolutions and all that good stuff.
I tend to tie my overly aspirational self-improvement efforts to the beginning of the school year-- as opposed to January 1-- but this year I’m inclined to double dip.
While I didn’t think I could go broader than “figure out what you want to do with your life,” for 2014 I’m hoping that the secret to happiness is hiding somewhere in the interplay of these two bits of text.   
 
The Serenity Prayer:
(God), grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
 courage to change the things I can,
 and wisdom to know the difference.
 
Birthday card I received from my parents last June:
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
 
I haven’t quite parsed out how to live my life serenely with courage and wisdom but I’m pretty sure I’m supposed to let go of petty small-potato things like how much it bothers me that the serenity prayer leaves off the “the” in front of courage and wisdom.
Stay tuned.
Happy and healthy to all….

No comments:

Post a Comment