Monday, March 12, 2012

Must Be My Liberal Arts Background

Yesterday I took my daughter to a birthday party for one of her classmates. It was a rock climbing party so I hung out for a while to watch. My only mistake was not tuning out the conversation going on next to me.
Mom #1: We took the kids to see The Lion King in the city yesterday.
Mom #2: Did they love it? 
Mom #1: Omigod no! It's so scary! The dad lion falls off this cliff and dies and then his son thinks it's all his fault!! I couldn't believe it.
Mom #2: (shocked) Oh, that's awful!
 Me: (in my head) Seriously, have you not seen the movie? Did you think the Broadway show could somehow gloss over a major plot point that drives the whole story?
Mom #2: Well, we saw The Lorax
Mom #1: How was that?
Mom #2: The kids liked it. But I just can't stand these movies that try to jam a message down your throat. I mean, I know that the liberals in Hollywood get to decide what we see but, really...
 I could take no more. I interjected myself into the conversation.
Me: Did you know that Dr. Seuss wrote The Lorax in the '70's? Pretty prescient, really. More of a "paved paradise and put up a parking lot" thing than a straight global warming message.
 [Crickets.]
Me: You must have hated Wall-E.
 Hey Weaselsnark, why aren't you popular with the Chicago Police Department?


No comments:

Post a Comment