Monday, November 7, 2011

Moi is Not Perfect

If pop-culture is in fact representative of our collective experience, my children will someday look back and take issue with any number of things I've done (or haven't done) to shape them and their future problems.

Taking stock, I can pinpoint a few things that have already slipped through the cracks:

1. My daughter doesn't know who Kermit the Frog is. She referred to him as "that green guy in the preview we saw." Miss Piggy? Gonzo? Fozzie? Blank stares from both children. How is that possible when I can still get both fired up and teary about the untimely death of Jim Henson?

2. I'm over the Game of Life. Was it always so complicated? I must have played some quick-start version of it as a kid because I remember nothing about annuities and the stock market. Snooze. My kids will just have to figure out certain "Life" lessons for themselves like 1) what the correlation is (if any still exists) between going to college and the size of one's paycheck and 2) the importance of buying a car with third row seating.

3. The Jets. Clearly my biggest failing.

4. Track pants as everyday wear. Our son has rigged things so that when he wears jeans he looks positively dressed up. Where does it end? Are there sansabelt suits?

I'm going to stop there.

The good news is that I think my kids are still too young to have been scarred by my absent-minded (and often absent-pitch) singing in the car while driving car pool and my lily-white dance moves. And, if I'm lucky, they may never focus on the hours of home videos that were not shot.

For now, they still want to hang out with me and play games. Just not Life. Or Chutes and Ladders. Or checkers.

Go Giants!!

No comments:

Post a Comment